Terms and Conditions
General Terms and Tour Information
When you use this website, you must observe these terms and conditions. We reserve the right in our sole discretion to make any changes or modifications we deem appropriate to the website. As a user of our website, you waive any right to receive notice of any change or modification to the website.
As a user, your responsibility remains to stay informed of any changes or modifications to the website. You agree that you are deemed to have accepted such changes or modifications by continuing to use or access the website or any revision thereof.
If at any time you find any of the terms and conditions of the website unacceptable, you are required to cease all use of the website immediately.
About the Tour
We are African Flying Adventures (PTY) Ltd, in South Africa. We offer touristic activities, including self-piloting flying adventures involving lodging, (commercial air) transportation or other tourist services not ancillary to transport or accommodation and accounting for a significant proportion of our offer. All general aviation (GA) and self-fly-related activities and associated services, such as (making arrangements for) flight training or other GA-related services offered to you, are part of our offer unless explicitly stated in our Tour Offer.
The following booking conditions, together with the information set out on the relevant Tour page on the African Flying Adventures website, as well as the Tour terms and conditions to be signed upon acceptance of our quotation, will result in our Tour Offer to you, and will form the agreement between you and us for your holiday with us.
What is in the Holiday
- The following items are included:
- accommodation and all meals in lodges (unless otherwise stated in the itinerary);
- accommodation and breakfast in hotels (unless otherwise stated in the itinerary);
- safaris as offered by the capacity as part of their standard accommodation price;
- drinking water.
- The following items are not included (unless specifically mentioned in our Tour Offer to be included):
- any travel to or from the Meeting Point at the start of your Tour to your return home at the end of the Tour from the Meeting Point (which is likely to be the same place), unless specified explicitly in our Tour Offer;
- all other costs incurred before you arrive at the Meeting Point and after you return home from your final destination Meeting Point;
- travel insurance or any additional insurance personal to you;
- passport, visa costs;
- vaccinations and medication before, during and after the Tour;
- COVID-19-related charges such as evacuation, quarantine or hospitalisation costs;
- food and drink over and above what we include in the Tour, unique wines, exclusive spirits and champagnes;
- gratuities you choose to give, in addition to any we offer on your behalf where we consider appropriate;
- aircraft rental, aircraft fuel, landing fees, flight training or piloting of your own or rented aircraft;
- flight permits, overland clearances, landing permits;
- taxis and local transportation;
- commercial flights, unless otherwise specified;
- car rental arrangements, unless otherwise specified;
- Rescue or support services in case you need assistance.
Booking your Holiday
- You can book at any time after you show us your interest by e-mail or through our website form; after that, we will send you our Tour Offer by e-mail, and with that, the time that our Tour Offer is valid.
- Such Tour Offer will consist of our Tour Terms and Conditions, as well as a quotation estimate setting out the tour itinerary and costs.
- We will hold a provisional booking for at most seven days after your booking to allow you time to send us the signed Tour Terms and conditions, and the required deposit.
- Once your deposit and signed Terms and Conditions have been recieved, we will send you a confirmation invoice which confirms your booking.
- You are not allowed to combine our offered tour elements, lodge or hotel reservations or aircraft rentals with those from other suppliers without our written consent when you join one of our Tours.
We are a full member of the South African Travel Organisation called SATSA.
- We strongly recommend that you take out appropriate travel insurance when booking an African Flying Adventures Tour. We cannot approve the cover you have bought and are not responsible if it is inadequate.
- A cover should be obtained against normal travel risks and against additional risks appropriate to the destination country or countries of travel. In particular, local road transport insurance may be inadequate, so you should check that your cover includes accidents happening whilst you are a passenger in a vehicle, flying your own or a rented aircraft, and with search and rescue operations.
- We advise you to check that your travel insurance or home contents policy covers any valuable optical equipment.
Passport, Visa and Health Requirements
Please note carefully:
- To be safe, it is a good idea to make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 (six) months after the date of return of your Tour;
- Remember to apply for any necessary visa in good time;
- Check with your general practitioner (GP) what vaccinations and medication you may require and allow time to obtain them. Any GP that prescribes malaria medication to you should take into account the fact that you might be piloting an aircraft, that is, if you are joining a self‑piloting adventures safari tour with us to fly your own (rented) aircraft during the time;
- If the Tour takes place (partly) in third-world countries, you should take the (yellow) vaccination passport or booklet with you. It is your responsibility to ensure that you obtain all necessary inoculations, handle all the necessary medication and follow all medical advice about your holiday. Remember to bring certificates, COVID-19 passports or vaccination cards and confirmations with you in your hand luggage.
- We must be fully vaccinated and jabbed against the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 to participate in our Tours. By not vaccinating, the whole group might be at risk if you travel with us on a group adventure tour. Please advise us if you plan to travel with us without being fully vaccinated yet against the SARS-CoV-2 virus. We might be unable to accommodate you if you are not fully immunised against the coronavirus, as we cannot bear the risks and associated costs if something goes wrong. It is your responsibility to get vaccinated and get the proper insurance for an emergency evacuation, hospitalisation and or quarantine requirement in case you are confronted with a coronavirus-related situation, whatever the source of the infection might be.
- If you need professional medical care whilst on tour, we will try to obtain it and inform your travel insurers as quickly as possible. Please ensure that you provide us with your next of kin details so we can arrange for them to be contacted in an emergency.
- You agree to repay us all costs we incur in providing this assistance, including payment for any transport and telephone calls, which must be reimbursed to the company.
At least 2 (two) weeks before the Start Date, we shall send you detailed information about your Tour. The data can be provided to you by e-mail or our Tour App, which can be installed on smartphones and tablets running either a current version of the iOS or Android operating system. This information will include:
- Location of Meeting Point;
- Climate and clothing recommendations;
- Any essential details relevant to a particular site that we may visit;
- A checklist of items you should bring with you on your Tour;
- A detailed itinerary.
Accommodation will be in good quality hotels or lodges. We also use tented safari camps to reach a unique location for a price that fits the Tour objectives or adds to your safari experience. En-suite facilities will be provided wherever possible. We will discuss your exact accommodation requirements when you have made a booking, but please note:
- We reserve the right to change accommodation to that stated on our website itineraries – (see below “changes of itinerary”).
- Single rooms are generally available at an extra cost.
- Accommodation in some African countries will be lower than comparable accommodation in the EU or the US. In some cases, we believe that, for example, a tented camp in a wildlife reserve will give you an experience that extends staying in another accommodation up to higher standards, however missing the adventure and nature experience. We do our utmost best to provide you with the best total experience and expect from you some flexibility, especially where it involves a Tour covering several countries in the third world.
- If we offer walking safari tours, the accommodation will be in small tents or even in the open air.
Changes of Itinerary
- Despite careful planning, a site may become inaccessible due to matters outside our control, for example, a natural disaster, political turmoil or not getting the needed permits to enter a country or fly over it.
- It is also possible that new information on the movement of wildlife will, in our opinion, benefit the Tour participants generally by providing better flying and watching opportunities elsewhere.
- Therefore, we may decide to make changes to the itinerary to accommodate the above possibilities. We will tell you of any such change as soon as we choose to make it.
We must work within the restrictions laid down by any carrier we use. Policies vary from one page to another and from time to time. We will tell you the exact allowances and terms after you have made a booking with us. If the tour includes a stay in the Okavango Delta, a soft travel bag is mandatory for travel to Chief’s Island in the Okavango Delta. On walking safari tours, you might have to bring your backpack.
If you have an unusual requirement, perhaps for medical reasons, contact us, and we will try to help you immediately.
Limitations on our Liability
We want you to enjoy a perfect holiday with us. We shall do our best to make your holiday memorable for you. Nonetheless, we must make clear the limitations of the law. We are not liable to you for:
- Any event which happens before you arrive at the Meeting Point or after you leave at the end of the Tour at the last Meeting Point;
- Any problem arising from your failure to reach the Meeting Point on time, for whatever reason (though we would do our best to help you in any way we reasonably could);
- The numbers or quality of wildlife you see on your African Flying Adventures Tour;
- Any aspect of goods or services you buy or accept other than those arranged by us;
- Medical problems or physical difficulties, even if you have told us about them in advance;
- Any infection with the coronavirus SARS -CoV-2 and its consequences;
- Covid-19 related emergencies, cancellations and costs;
- Other medical emergencies;
- Aircraft defects and emergencies;
- Your carelessness or negligence in any aspect of your behaviour whilst with us;
- Changes we reasonably make to an itinerary or accommodation or any other part of the management of a Tour;
- Problems or issues we could have resolved whilst on a Tour but which you raise only after your return.
- Injury, illness, death, loss (including loss of enjoyment or possessions), damage, expense, cost or other sum or claim of any description whatsoever which results from either:
- the act or omission of you or anyone in your party;
- The act or omission of a third party or African wildlife is not connected with the provision of your holiday.
- Services we have not provided. The services and features in your Tour are those specified in our Tour Offer. If you choose to buy other goods or services, such as general aviation (GA) related services during your holiday, those are not part of the package we provide, even if we assist you in your arrangement at your request. Accordingly, we are not liable to you for any happening in connection with that service or those goods.
- Laws, standards, culture and attitudes differ in many countries from what you reasonably expect at home. We are not responsible for standards of service, safety, hygiene and behaviour that may be lower than you are used to or expected.
- We do not represent or commit that all services will comply with applicable local laws and regulations. Failure to comply does not automatically mean the service supplier, or we have not exercised reasonable skill and care.
- Please also note that we will only be responsible for what our employees, agents and suppliers do or do not do if they were at the time acting within the course of their employment (for employees) or carrying out work we had asked them to do (for agents and suppliers).
Flight and other Transport Delays: Limit of our Liability
- There is no guarantee that flights, trains or ferries will depart at the time specified. If they do not, we are not liable to you for any delay or cancellation or failure to take what you think are the best actions to take in particular circumstances.
- In the case of air travel, the airline is responsible for assisting with the Denied Boarding Regulations. We will try to keep you informed throughout the period of any delay.
- Our policy if a delay occurs is to continue with our plans until the flight (or another form of transport, if relevant) is cancelled with no suitable alternative flight being offered by the airline. However, if we considered it impossible to find a good alternative form of transport, we would cancel the holiday and refund you all holiday payments.
- Where any delay in returning home lasts longer than 24 hours, the airline should continue to meet your accommodation and reasonable meal expenses. This will be the case where the airline is an EU carrier or was due to depart from an EU airport. They may, however, require you to stay at the accommodation and take the meal arrangements they provide. We regret we cannot meet such expenses where the airline does not do so or where you choose not to accept the deals offered.
- Suppose you wish to find at any time to return home early or independently, for example, by booking an upgrade with the airline or organising overland travel. In that case, we will provide whatever assistance we can. All expenses involved in doing so will be your responsibility.
- EC Regulation No 261/2004 (The Denied Boarding Regulations) apply where the airline is an EU carrier, or the affected flight was due to depart from an airport within the EU. Where applicable, you must pursue the airline for the compensation or other payment due to you. The compensation set by the regulations is your full entitlement. It covers, for example, distress, disappointment, inconvenience or effects on other arrangements. We have no liability to make any payment to you in relation to the Denied Boarding Regulations or in respect of any flight cancellation or delay, downgrading of any flight ticket or denial of any boarding.
- Suppose, for any reason, we make a payment to you or a third party which the airline is responsible for following the Denied Boarding Regulations. In that case, you agree, when requested, to assign to us the rights you have or had to claim the payment in question from the airline.
- Remember that transport and other service providers have their booking conditions or conditions of carriage or service. You will be bound by these as far as that service is concerned. Such conditions may limit or exclude liability on the part of the relevant provider, and they are often also subject to international conventions.
We Need Help from You.
- Most African Flying Adventures holidays require reasonable physical fitness and appropriate footwear. It would help if you were prepared to walk up to a couple of miles daily, sometimes on uneven or slippery surfaces.
- If we provide medical help to you, whether or not you specifically ask for it, we will provide receipts for all costs (for your insurer), and you now agree to repay us that cost on your return from the Tour.
- Suppose, at any time, it is our opinion (given by any of our staff or Tour leaders) that you are acting in a way which may cause an accident, injury, discomfort or extreme displeasure to any other Tour member. In that case, we may exclude you from the program for the remainder of the Tour. You will understand that this extreme action will not be taken lightly but may be necessary to protect other clients’ health, safety or enjoyment.
We shall try our utmost to provide a happy and fulfilling holiday, but if we fail in any way, please do raise any issue with your Tour leader immediately. If your complaint cannot be satisfied and it is not dealt with to your satisfaction at the time of reporting it to the leader(s), then you should give us full details in writing immediately upon your return. We cannot respond to verbal complaints.
[African Flying Adventures, Terms & Conditions, version July 2022]