SEPT 12 – OCT 5, 2020
This Air Safari tour is limited to a maximum of 4 participating aircraft and will visit landmarks such as the Victoria Falls, Kruger and Chobe National Park, the Okavango Delta, Sossusvlei and the second largest canyon in the world Fish River Canyon in Namibia. The tour starts in Johannesburg, South Africa where you will be picked up from O.R. Tambo International Airport. The first few nights you will stay in the Johannesburg area to complete the pilot license validation process and pick up the aircraft before our first flight will begin from an airfield near Johannesburg towards to Kruger National Park in the eastern part of South Africa.
The best way to experience a Kruger safari is in open safari vehicles: you can use all your senses to experience the bush and get close to the animals. It is also a perfect way to take some fantastic pictures of the flora and fauna surrounding you. Before going up north to Zimbabwe, we will fly through the third largest canyon on earth, the Blyde River Canyon. Our flight to Lake Kariba in the north of Zimbabwe takes us through the heart of Africa. Lake Kariba is where we will be staying in a classic safari lodge on the edge of the water. From Lake Kariba, we will fly over Victoria Falls. After visiting the falls, our trip continues with a flight to Botswana to visit Chobe National Park and Maun. Maun is situated on the edge of the world-famous Okavango Delta which we will be exploring for three days in 4x4Drive vehicles.
After our 4x4Drive adventure, we will continue on and fly to Namibia where we will visit the famous Sossusvlei sand dunes and the Fish River Canyon before setting course again towards South Africa. The trip ends where it started, in the Johannesburg.
Self-fly African Wildlife Adventure
A 3-week self-fly safari trip flying from Johannesburg to Namibia. This tour includes the Kruger area for a multi-day safari and then on through Zimbabwe to Lake Kariba for a classic African safari to view wildlife and the country from the lakeshores. You will be able to see the spectacular Victoria Falls before arriving in Maun, Botswana for a multi-day 4x4Drive safari in the Okavango Delta. The highlights of Namibia will be visited such as Sossusvlei, Deadvlei, Swakopmund, Lüderitz and the Fish River Canyon.
If you have an EASA or FAA pilot license, we will assist you in getting your pilot license converted to a South African validated PPL license. The validation process is straightforward and includes mostly paperwork, one theory exam on South African Air law and a check ride with a local flight instructor once you arrive in South Africa. In addition, we will help you find a suitable aircraft to rent for this trip. We can also arrange a safety pilot to come with you, but if you know how to fly your aircraft at home, there will be no problem in doing the same in Africa. We will be flying along as well with a support aircraft and will give a full flight and weather briefing each morning. We are here to make the whole process as hassle-free as possible.
If you do not have a pilot license, you can fly along as a passenger. You might be able to fly along with one of the participants or we can offer you to fly with one of our partners, a South African aircraft operator that can facilitate a maximum of up to 4 passengers to come along in his aircraft on this trip.
- Air Safari through South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia;
- Landing your aircraft on unpaved airstrips in the African bush;
- Big-5 Kruger safari in open game drive vehicles with professional guides;
- Flight through Blyde River Canyon;
- Safari at Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe;
- Flying over and visiting the Victoria Waterfalls;
- Game Drive and Water Safari in Chobe National Park
- Exploration in a 4×4 vehicle of the Okavango Delta and Moremi Game Reserve
- Sossusvlei Dunes exploration in Namibia
- Safari to the Fish River Canyon, Namibia
|TRIP START/END LOCATION||Johannesburg/Pretoria, South Africa.|
|DEPARTURE DATE/TIME||Please arrive latest on September 12, 2020, at 18.00 hours.|
|GOOGLE MAPS||Route Map|
|RETURN DATE/TIME||The tour ends on October 5, 2020, after arriving back at Lanseria Airport (FALA) in the Johannesburg area.|
|SELF-FLY OPTION*||Total flying distance: 2917 NM | Approximate total flying time: 25:30 hours (C172), 23:30 hours (C182/C206) | Flying time check ride with South African instructor including overland: approx. 2:00 – 2:30 hrs. All aircraft owners charge block times from off-blocks to on-blocks.|
|PASSENGER OPTION*||Total flying distance: 2917 NM | Approximate total flying time: 22:30 hours. There is room for a minimum of 3 up to 4 passengers that together share the flying costs while flying with a professional pilot and commercial operator in a 6-seater aircraft. The operator is based in Stellenbosch and charges a one-time transfer fee for getting the aircraft to/from the starting point of the Tour, which starting point is Lanseria Airport: €2550,00 | Flying costs including the professional pilot, all landing fees, fuel and accommodation/food for the pilot: €395,00 per flying hour. Based on 22:30 hours of flight during the trip, the cost with 3 passengers sharing will be €170,00 p.p. per flying hour and with 5 passengers sharing €102,00 p.p. per flying hour. An arrangement can be made directly with the aircraft operator. The above-mentioned charges include VAT.|
|GROUP SIZE||This tour is limited to a maximum of 4 participating aircraft or 8-12 participants, excluding the support aircraft with the guides coming along on the tour.|
|WEAR||Comfortable clothing suitable for safari and travel. Informal dinner attire for first few dinner nights in the Johannesburg area. Good walking shoes if you want to participate in guided bush walks. Bring a hat or cap to protect against the sun. Take also with you some warm clothing for in the early mornings and evenings.|
|ACCOMMODATION||We will be staying in luxury safari lodges, in tented safari camps as well as three nights in roof tents on top of 4×4 Toyota Land Cruisers. During the 4x4Drive you will be sleeping in roof tents right on top of your 4x4Drive vehicle in designated camping areas in the bush in Botswana. At times, you will also be sleeping in tented camps on high-quality stretcher beds with proper linen and blankets, which allows you to experience the real African bush. For the 4x4Drive safari days, there is an alternative destination in the Okavango Delta available if you prefer to relax in a lodge instead of participating in the 4x2Drive adventure.|
|GUIDES||At least 2 guides will be embedded and coming along on this tour in their own support aircraft. The guides have extensive knowledge of the African bush and are both bush pilots with experience of flying in Africa. Some of the lodges have their own professional field guides with local knowledge, who will join us on the game drives. You will have the best possible people around you to answer any questions that you may have.|
|PACKAGE TRIP||Yes, lodging and associated lodge safaris, the 4x4Drive safari in the Okavango Delta and Moremi Game Reserve and all the food and drinks are included. No flights, other transportation or optional activities you choose to take part in are a part of the offer.|
|TERMS||Our Terms & Conditions as found here and are applicable to this Tour offer.|
*Safaris, Game Drives and Guided Bush Walks are normally a part of the lodging arrangement in Africa and as such included in the price. The accommodation is offered full-board including all the drinks, which include standard wines and beers but with exclusive champagnes, wines and spirits excluded from the all-in price. The options (optional activities offered) are not a part of our tour offer price, nor are they a mandatory element of our tour. The options are available but have to be paid to the local operator offering the specific activity by credit card or in cash in Rand or US$. As for aircraft rentals, we provide you with the needed information about the aircraft owners willing to rent out their South African registered aircraft to you, so that you can arrange a direct rental agreement with one of them. We will make the arrangement for the pilot license validation and provide you with the contact information of a local flight instructor that will assist you with the validation of your EASA or FAA pilot license into a South African validated license.
Day 1: Arrival in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Pickup from O.R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg
- Arrival at Cradle Boutique Hotel, Lanseria.
- Welcome dinner and get-together.
Cradle Boutique Hotel, Lanseria
Day 2: Pilot Workshop and Check Ride
Non-pilots can relax at the lodge or join an early morning game drive in the nature reserve surrounding the boutique hotel. For those interested, there will be an option to join a guided walking tour through Alexandra Township in the afternoon or to visit a nearby crafts centre, visit the Apartheid Museum, Soweto, the Voortrekker Monument or the Cradle of Mankind museum.
- Pilots: Air Law workshop.
- Pilots: Air Law theory exam
- Pilots: Check ride with a South African flight instructor
- Non-pilots: Urban Safari Game-drive
- A guided tour through the Alexandra Township for those interested
- Visit of crafts centre, Apartheid Museum, Soweto or Voortrekkers Monument
Pilots: check ride in the afternoon with a South African flight instructor. Aircraft pickup and inspection and a flight to Lanseria Airport (FALA) if your aircraft is based at another airport in the Johannesburg area than Lanseria. It is Lanseria (FALA) from where we will depart for our 3-week tour.
The day is concluded with a South African braai (BBQ) in the bush.
Day 3: First flight from Lanseria to Kruger National Park
- Flight from Lanseria Airport (FALA) to Skukuza Airport or Hazyview near Kruger National Park.
- Overnight in Tamboti Tented Camp in Kruger National Park (KNP).
- Game Drive in open game vehicles in Kruger National Park with private safari guides.
Day 4: KNP Safari and Flight to Lydenburg
- Morning safari game drive in KNP
- Flight in the afternoon from KNP to Lydenberg
- Overnight in our private tented camp
- South African Braai at our camp site.
Day 5: Drakensberg Mountains or Day Trip to Swaziland
- Option: Fly Fishing
- Option: Day flying trip to Swaziland
- Option: Local flying and touring to bush airstrips
Day 6: Flight to Zimbabwe
- Flight to Polokwane Airport (FAPP) via the Blyde River Canyon
- Flight from Polokwane to Chiredzi (FVCZ) to clear customs/immigrations into Zimbabwe
- Flight from Chiredzi to Masvingo (FVMV)
- Overnight in lodge in Masvingo
Day7: Ancient City Site and Flight to Lake Kariba
- Visit Ancient City Historical Site
- Flight from Masvingo to Bumi Hills Airstrip on the lake shores of Lake Kariba
- Arrival at the Musango Lodge at Lake Kariba
- Short afternoon safari and dinner at the lodge
Big crocodile at Lake Kariba.
Day 8: Safari at Lake Kariba and Flight to Victoria Falls
Day 9: Activities at Victoria Falls
- Visit the Victoria Falls from the Zimbabwe site
- Bungee Jump from Victoria Falls Bridge (111 meter high)
- Swim to the edge of the waterfalls in the Devil’s Pool
Day 10: Flight from Victoria Falls to Kasane, Botswana
- Flight Victoria Falls (FVFA) to Kasane (FBKE)
- Safari Game Drive to Chobe Riverfront
- Overnight stay at Safari Lodge in Kasane.
Day 11: Chobe National Park Visit
- Water safari at Chobe Riverfront
- Flight from Kasane (FBKE) to Maun (FBMN)
- Pickuo of our 4x4Drive Toyota Land Cruisers
- Overnight stay at Crocodile Camp Lodge
If you prefer to go to a safari lodge in the Okavango Delta instead of doing the 4×4 Drive tour, you will be staying in Oddballs or Delta Camp where their safari guides will take you in Mokoro wooden open boats or on guided walking safaris twice daily.
Day 12: 4x4Drive Training
- Hands-on course in 4×4 driving
- Drive into Moremi Game Reserve
- Sleeping the night in the roof-top tents on top of the Toyota Land Cruisers
Day 13: 4x4Drive Safari in Moremi Game Reserve
Day 15: Drive back to Maun and Flight to Windhoek, Namibia
- Drive back to Maun from our last camp in Moremi Game Reserve.
- Flight from Maun (FBMN) to Windhoek /Eros (FYWE), Namibia
- Overnight stay in hotel in Windhoek
- Dinner at joe’s Bee House.
Day 16: Flight from Windhoek to Geluk Airfield (FYGK)
- Flight from Windhoek to Geluk Airfield
- Checkin at Le Mirage
- Optional: afternoon quad-bike ride.
- Dinner at Le Mirage.
Day 17: Safari to Sossusvlei
- Early breakfast in the hotel
- Drive to Dune 45
- Walk up to the top of Dune 45
- Visit to Sossusvlei and Deadvlei
Day 18: Balloon-ride or Local fight
- Balloon-ride over the dunes (optional)
- Flight over the dunes in your aircraft (optional)
- Flight to Luderitz (FYLZ)
- Overnight stay and dinner at The Nest Hotel
Day 19: Local activities in Luderitz
- Visit of Ghost-town Kolmanskop (optional)
- Boat ride to the Penguins on island (optional)
- Overnight stay and dinner at The Nest Hotel
Day 20: Flight to the Fish River Canyon
- Flight from Luderitz to Karios (FYKC)
- Overnight stay and dinner at the Canyon Village Lodge
Day 21: Exploration of the Fish River Canyon
- Safari to Fish River Canyon
- Afternoon relaxation
Day 22: Flight(s) back to South Africa
- Flight Karios (FYKC) to Keetmanshoop (FYKT)
- Flight Keetmanshoop to Upington (FAUP)
- Flight Upington to Dundi Lodge
- Overnight stay and dinner at Dundi Lodge
- Swim and relax at the pool
Day 23: Augrabies Waterfalls National Park
- Visit of Augrabies Falls National Park
- Visit of one of the grape producers in the area
- Overnight stay at Dundi Lodge
- Final dinner of the tour at Dundi Lodge
Day 24: Flight back to Johannesburg
- Flight back from Dundi Lodge via Kimberley to Johannesburg
- Delivery of aircraft to their respective owners
- End of the 3-week self-fly safari trip
- Transport to O.R. Tambo International Airport
Note: Not all web-browsers are supported. Use a modern browser to submit the form below. Firefox is a reported browser that is not supported at the moment. After submitting the form, you will be brought back to the Tour page. If you encounter problems, please let us know at [email protected].
This 3-week Air Safari Tour will be guided and supported all along.
Welmien Foster and Basia Vermaak will be your first contact. They manage our reservations desk. Welmien is responsible for all the bookings. She operates from our office in Cape Town. Basia operates from Johannesburg and is deals with our clients arriving there as well as the South African CAA. Any questions you might have related to lodging, generic questions related to the trip, what to bring, customs, luggage or what to wear or anything else can be addressed to them. Welmien comes originally from Hoedspruit, which is situated right next to Kruger National Park, and she grew up near the bush and African wildlife – so she really is a guru on all things South Africa! She will also monitor all of our flights during the whole tour through a satellite link connecting each aircraft to our system (flight following).
Left: Welmien | Right: Basia
Johan Jansen van Rensburg is responsible for all the logistics around the participating aircraft. He studied at the University of Stellenbosch in the field of forestry and worked as a forester in South Africa for some years before starting his own construction company specialized in construction work in the mines. He enjoys flying his planes in the African bush, has his own airstrip at his house and enjoys riding his motorbikes during enduro adventures. Johan is responsible for the availability of the aircraft, the fuel logistics en-route and will come along as one of the embedded guides on this trip to assist with any (technical) issues which might arise.
Sjoerd Jan ter Welle is the founder of African Flying Adventures and will come along on this tour. He enjoys flying aircraft and has been flying aircraft throughout most of the African continent and even wrote a book about his flying adventures in Africa which you can buy at Amazon if you are curious. Sjoerd Jan will take care of all the flight logistics involved such as the filing of flight plans, getting the required permits to fly through Africa and to the bush airstrips. As well as bush flying, he enjoys the African Wildlife, is a qualified safari field guide, makes his own wine at home and has just completely fallen in love with the African continent.
Left: Sjoerd Jan | Right: Johan