SEPT 11 – OKT 1, 2019
This Air Safari tour is packed with highlights from visiting famous landmarks, experiencing local culture in South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe and Botswana to flying through the African continent. The tour starts out in Johannesburg, South Africa where you will be picked up from O.R. Tambo International Airport. The first few nights you will stay in the Johannesburg area to complete the pilot license validation process and pick up the aircraft before our first flight will begin from Lanseria Airport (FALA) near Johannesburg directly to Swaziland.
Swaziland is the real Africa: a small country ruled by an absolute king, stunning nature and friendly African people. We will be letting you experience local African culture in Nsoko, a small town in the back corner of Swaziland. The flight to Nsoko to Kruger National Park is not a long one from there, even though we will have to clear customs twice that day. The best way to experience a Kruger safari is in open safari vehicles: you can use all your senses to experience the bush and get close to the animals. It is also a perfect way to take some fantastic pictures of the flora and fauna surrounding us. Before flying into Zimbabwe, we will fly through the third largest canyon on Earth, the Blyde River Canyon. Our flight to Lake Kariba takes us through Zimbabwe. Lake Kariba is where we will be boarding a boat. The Kariba Lake area feels like you are in a movie such as “Out of Africa.” From Kariba, we will fly over Victoria Falls? After visiting the falls, our trip continues with a flight through Botswana to Maun. Maun is situated on the edge of the world-famous Okavango Delta which we will be exploring for 3 full days in 4x4Drive vehicles. Limpopo-Lipadi is a private game reserve situated along the Limpopo river at the border between Botswana and South Africa. The last days of safari game drives will be carried out here. The trip ends where it started, in the Johannesburg area after our arrival at Lanseria Airport.
Self-fly African Wildlife Adventure
A 3-week self-fly safari trip flying from Johannesburg to Swaziland. this will include the Kruger area for a multi-day safari and then on through Zimbabwe to Lake Kariba to board a houseboat cruise to view wildlife and the country from the lake. Then you will be able to see the spectacular Victoria Falls and then to Maun, Botswana for a multi-day 4x4Drive safari in the Okavango Delta. The trip will end at the Limpopo-Lipadi Private Game Reserve on the border between Botswana and South Africa, from where you will return back to Johannesburg to end our trip there three weeks later.
If you have an EASA or FAA pilot license, we will assist you in getting your pilot license converted to a South African validated PPL license. The validation process is straightforward and includes mostly paperwork, one theory exam on South African Airlaw and a check ride with a local flight instructor once you arrive in South Africa. In addition, we will help you find a suitable aircraft to rent for this trip. We can also arrange a safety pilot to come with you, but if you know how to fly your aircraft at home, there will be no problem in doing the same in Africa. We will be flying along as well to give a full briefing each morning and to assist where needed. We are here to make the whole process as hassle-free as possible!
If you do not have a pilot license, you can fly along as a passenger. You might be able to fly along with one of the participants or we can offer you to fly with one of our partners, a South African aircraft operator that can facilitate a maximum of up to 5 passengers to come along in his 6-seater aircraft on this trip.
- Self-fly Air Safari through South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe and Botswana
- Landing your aircraft on unpaved airstrips in the African bush;
- Big-5 Kruger safari in open game drive vehicles with professional guides;
- Explore the real African culture of Swaziland;
- Flight through the Blyde River Canyon;
- Water safari on a House Boat on Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe;
- Flying over and visiting the Victoria Waterfalls;
- Exploration in a 4×4 vehicle of the Okavango Delta
- Flight over the Madikgadi Salt Pans;
- Exclusive safari at Limpopo-Lipadi Private Game Reserve in the Tuli Block, Botswana;
- Hot Air Balloon ride over the Cradle of Mankind;
|TRIP START/END LOCATION||Johannesburg/Pretoria, South Africa.|
|DEPARTURE DATE/TIME||Please arrive latest on September 11, 2019, at 18.00 hours.|
|RETURN DATE/TIME||The tour ends on October 1st, 2019, after arrival at Lanseria Airport near Johannesburg.|
|SELF-FLY OPTION*||Total flying distance: 2075 NM | Approximate total flying time: 16:50 hours (C172), 17:50 hours (C182/C206) | Flying time check ride with South African instructor including overland: approx. 2:00 – 2:30 hrs. All aircraft owners charge block times from off-blocks to on-blocks.|
|PASSENGER OPTION*||Total flying distance: 2075 NM | Approximate total flying time: 17:30 hours. There is room for a minimum of 3 up to a max of 5 passengers that together share the flying costs while flying with a professional pilot and commercial operator in a 6-seater aircraft. The operator is based in Stellenbosch and charges a one-time transfer fee for getting the aircraft to/from the starting point of the Tour, which starting point is Lanseria Airport: €2550,00 | Flying costs including the professional pilot, all landing fees, fuel and accommodation/food for the pilot: €395,00 per flying hour. Based on 17:30 hours of flight during the trip, the cost with 3 passengers sharing will be €180,00 p.p. per flying hour and with 5 passengers sharing €108,00 p.p. per flying hour. An arrangement can be made directly with the aircraft operator. The above-mentioned charges include VAT.|
|GROUP SIZE||This tour is limited to a maximum of 4 participating aircraft or 8 participants, excluding the support aircraft with the guides coming along on the tour.|
|WEAR||Comfortable clothing suitable for safari and travel. Informal dinner attire for first few dinner nights in Pretoria. Good walking shoes if you want to participate in guided bush walks. Bring a hat or cap to protect against the sun. Take also with you some warm clothing for in the early mornings and evenings.|
|ACCOMMODATION||We will be staying in safari lodges, safari tents in tented camps as well as in a classic boat cabin on Lake Kariba. Some of the lodges, such as in Limpopo-Lipadi Private Game Reserve, Botswana are top-rated lodges. In Kariba, we will be boarding an old cruise boat from the old Rhodesian Times, which will instantly give you the idea that you are in a movie like “Out of Afrika”. The captain will dock the boat for the nights at one of the uninhabited islands of Lake Kariba or along its shoreline. Tamboti Tented Camp is our residence during our Kruger safari, which is considered one of the most beautiful places to stay in Kruger Park. During the 4x4Drive you will be sleeping in roof tents right on top of your 4x4Drive vehicle in designated camping areas in the bush in Botswana. At times, you will also be sleeping in tented camps on high-quality stretcher beds with proper linen and blankets, which allows you to experience the real African bush experience.|
|GUIDES||At least 2 guides will be embedded and coming along on this tour with their own support aircraft. The guides have extensive knowledge and experience of the African bush and are both pilots with experience of flying in Africa. Some of the lodges have their own professional field guides with local knowledge, who will join us on the game drives, such as in Kruger National Park and at Limpopo-Lipadi. So you will have the best possible people around you to answer any questions that you may have.|
|PACKAGE TRIP||Yes, lodging and associated lodge safaris, the 4x4Drive safari in the Okavango Delta, the cruise on Lake Kariba and all the food and drinks are included and guaranteed by STO Garantiefonds (Dutch travel insurance). No flights, other transportation or optional activities you choose to take part in are a part of the offer.|
|TERMS||Our Terms & Conditions as found here and are applicable to this Tour offer.|
*Safaris, Game Drives and Guided Bush Walks are normally a part of the lodging arrangement in Africa and as such included in the price. The accommodation is offered full-board including all the drinks, which include standard wines and beers but excludes exclusive champagnes, wines and spirits. The options (optional activities offered) are not a part of our tour offer price, nor are they a mandatory element of our tour. The options are available but have to be paid to the local operator offering the specific activity by credit card or in cash in Rand or US$. As for aircraft rentals, we provide you with the needed information about the aircraft owners willing to rent out their South African registered aircraft to you, so that you can arrange a direct rental agreement with one of them. We will make the arrangement for the pilot license validation and provide you with the contact information of a local flight instructor that will assist you with the validation of your EASA or FAA pilot license into a South African validated license.
Day 1: Arrival in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Pickup from O.R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg
- Arrival at The Farm Inn Urban SafariLodge, Pretoria.
- Welcome dinner and campfire get-together.
Reception The Farm Inn Urban Safari Lodge, Pretoria.
Day 2: Pilot Workshop and Check Ride
Non-pilots can relax at the lodge or join for an early morning game drive right at the Farm Inn Lodge. For those interested, there will be an option to join a guided walking tour through Alexandra Township in the afternoon or to visit a nearby crafts centre, visit the Apartheid Museum, Soweto or the Voortrekker Monument, this is completely up to you.
- Pilots: Air Law workshop.
- Pilots: Air Law theory exam
- Pilots: check ride with South African flight instructor
- Non-pilots: Urban Safari Game-drive
- A guided tour through the Alexandra Township for those interested
- Visit of crafts centre, Apartheid Museum, Soweto or Voortrekkers Monument
Pilots: check ride in the afternoon with a South African flight instructor. Aircraft pickup and inspection and a flight to Lanseria Airport (FALA), from where we will depart on our 3-week tour.
The day is concluded with a South African Braai in the boma with African music and dance. Here you will get to experience the real sounds of South Africa.
Day 3: First flight into Swaziland
- Flight from Lanseria Airport (FALA) to Manzini Airport (FDMS) in Swaziland.
- Flight from Manzini to Nsoko Airfield ((FDNS).
- Welcome by Swaziland locals at the airfield.
- Stay in a quality tented camp that we have built up for you on the grounds of a mission post near Nsoko.
Day 4: Visit Local Village in Swaziland
- Flight from Nsoko back to Manzini Airport to clear customs/immigration.
- Flight from Manzini to Kruger Int’l Airport in South Africa (customs/immigration).
- Flight to Skukuza Airport near Kruger National Park (KNP).
- Drive into Kruger Park in open game safari vehicles in search of the Big Cats and to see the flora and fauna of South Africa, and take some beautiful pictures.
- Braai and sleep-over in Tamboti Tented Camp (KNP).
Day 5: Kruger Safari
- Full day game-drive in open safari vehicles.
- Overnight stay in Tamboti Tented Camp inside Kruger National Park.
Day 6: Kruger Safari
- Full day game-drive in open safari vehicles with our field guides.
- Overnight stay in Tamboti Tented Camp.
Day7: Kruger Safari
- Early morning game-drive in open safari vehicles with our experienced field guides in Kruger National Park.
- Flight from Skukuza Airfield to a private airstrip at a dam not that far from the town of Lydenburg.
- Braai on the airstrip with an overnight stay in our tented camp at the airfield.
- Opportunity to fly to several bush airstrips in the area.
Day 8: Trout Farm visit and flight through Blyde River Canyon
Day 9: Flight to Masvingo, Zimbabwe
- Flight via Polokwane, South Africa (FAPP) and via Chiredzi, Zimbabwe (FVCZ) to clear customs/immigration out of South Africa and into Zimbabwe.
- Flight from Chiredzi to Masvingo Airfield (FVMV).
- Visit of Great Zimbabwe, a medieval historical city, which was Zimbabwe’s capital in the country’s late iron age.
- Overnight stay in Masvingo.
Day 10: Flight through Zimbabwe to Kariba Airfield, an airport near Lake Kariba
- Flight Masvingo to Kariba airstrip.
- Boarding our Safari boat at Lake Kariba.
- Overnight stay on Safari boat at Antelope Island.
Day 11: Boat Safari on Lake Kariba
- Boat trip, Lake Kariba.
- Boat trip towards Musango Safari Lodge.
- Overnight stay on the boat.
Big crocodile at Lake Kariba.
Day 12: Boat Safari on Lake Kariba
- Arrival at Musango Safari Lodge
- Game drive, Lake Kariba shore.
- Walking safari, Lake Kariba shore.
- After a walk, we will enjoy a lakeshore braai to rejuvenate ourselves
Day 13: Flight to Victoria Falls
- Early morning Safari at Musango Safari Lodge
- Transfers from Musango Safari Lodge to Kariba Airfield
- Flight from Kariba Airfield to Victoria Falls Airport.
- An overflight of the Victoria Falls before arrival at Victoria Falls Airport.
- Overnight in Victoria Falls at the Royal Livingstone Hotel
Day 14: Devil's Pool or relax time at the hotel
- Visit Victoria Falls from the Zimbabwe side across the Victoria Falls bridge in order to view the waterfalls from their most impressive side, over 1700 m of thundering whitewater cascades.
- Optional: Early morning swim in the Devil’s Pool. The boat to Livingstone Island and the Devil’s Pool leaves directly from our hotel.
- Optional: Bungee jump overhead the Zambezi River from Victoria Falls bridge which marks the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia.
- Optional: Elephant or Lion encounter event.
- Dinner at Royal Livingstone Hotel
Day 15: Flight into Maun, Botswana
- Early morning flight Flight Victoria Falls (FVFA) to Maun, Botswana (FBMN)
- Afternoon 4×4 driving training course
- Dinner at Marc’s Eatery, Maun.
- Overnight stay the South Gate to Moremi National Park.
If you prefer to go to a safari lodge in the Okavango Delta instead of doing the 4×4 Drive tour, you will be staying in Oddballs or Delta Camp where their safari guides will take you in Mokoro wooden open boats or on guided walking safaris twice daily.
Day 16: Start of a 3-day 4x4Drive adventure in the Okavango Delta
- 4x4Drive safari through the bush in the Okavango Delta.
- Overnight stay in rooftop-tents on top of our 4x4Drive vehicles in small bush camps.
Day 17: 4x4Drive Safari in Okavango Delta
Day 18: 4x4Drive Safari in Okavango Delta
Day 19: Drive back to Maun and flight to Limpopo-Lipadi Private Game Reserve
- Drive back to Maun
- Flight from Maun over the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans to Limpopo-Lipadi Private Game Reserve
- Afternoon game-drive through the game reserve.
- Overnight stay in the Part of Africa private lodges in the Limpopo-Lipadi reserve.
Day 20: Game Drives in Limpopo-Lipadi Private Game Reserve
Part of Africa consists of four privately owned lodges situated within Limpopo-Lipadi Private Game Reserve.
- Early morning hot-air balloon flight (weather permitting), from which you can experience a truly magical sunrise.
- Late afternoon game drive
- Sundowner at the Limpopo River.
- Evening Braai – our last meal before departure the next morning!
Day 21: Flight back to Johannesburg
- Early morning game drive on the last day of the trip.
- Flight back from Limpopo Lipadi Airfield to Lanseria near Johannesburg to clear customs/immigration.
- Delivery of aircraft to respective owners at Lanseria Airport (FALA).
- End of the 3-week self-fly safari trip.
- Transport to O.R. Tambo International Airport
- Optional: an additional overnight-stay at Cradle Boutique Hotel next to Lanseria Airport if your departure back home is the next morning.
Note: Not all web-browsers are supported. Use a modern browser to submit the form below. Firefox is a reported browser that is not supported at the moment. After submitting the form, you will be brought back to the Tour page. If you encounter problems, please let us know at [email protected].
This 3-week Air Safari Tour will be guided and supported all along.
Welmien Foster will be your first contact and manages our reservations desk. She is responsible for all the bookings. She operates from our office in Cape Town. Any questions you might have related to lodging, generic questions related to the trip, what to bring, customs, luggage or what to wear or anything else can be addressed to her. Welmien comes originally from Hoedspruit, which is situated right next to Kruger National Park, and she grew up near the bush and African wildlife – so she really is a guru on all things South Africa! She will also monitor all of our flights during the whole tour through a satellite link connecting each aircraft to our system (flight following).
Left: Welmien | Right: Sjoerd Jan & Johan
Johan Jansen van Rensburg is responsible for all the logistics around the participating aircraft. He studied at the University of Stellenbosch in the field of forestry and worked as a forester in South Africa for some years before starting his own construction company specialized in construction work in the mines. He enjoys flying his planes, has his own airstrip at his house and enjoys riding his motorbikes during enduro adventures. Johan is responsible for the availability of the aircraft, the fuel logistics en-route and will come along as one of the embedded guides on this trip to assist with any (technical) issues which might arise.
Sjoerd Jan ter Welle is the founder of African Flying Adventures and will come along on this tour. He enjoys flying aircraft and has been flying aircraft throughout most of the African continent and even wrote a book about his flying adventures in Africa which you can buy at Amazon if you are curious. Sjoerd Jan will take care of all the flight logistics involved such as the filing of flight plans, getting the required permits to fly through Africa and to the bush airstrips. As well as flying, he enjoys the African Wildlife, is a qualified safari field guide, makes his own wine at home and has just completely fallen in love with the African continent.