AUGUST 26 – SEPTEMBER 04, 2019
The Kingdom of Swaziland or more commonly known just as Swaziland is a small independent landlocked country in Southern Africa. As with all Kingdoms, they have their own unique culture, rituals, and ceremonies.
Reed Dance Festival
We are here to offer you a chance to be a part of this Reed Dance Festival. This festival is an integral part of the Swazi culture and is one of the last great African festivals that you can visit as a visitor. The purpose of this event is to promote abstinence among young women. This ceremony is increasing in popularity in Swaziland and surrounding African countries and attracts around 40.000 people every year.
This tour includes the closing day of the ceremony, which is the most spectacular of the 8-day festival.
Due to the fact that the final dates of the festival will only be confirmed around June, we have designed a trip including the two possible closing festival dates: September 2nd or September 3, 2019. Depending on the final Reed Dance festival event dates we might have to reverse the proposed itinerary.
We have provided the opportunity to experience the dances on the closing day of this amazing ceremony preceded or followed by a couple of days of an African safari in Kruger National Park with daily game drives. The game drives will be conducted by a Professional Guide in an open game drive vehicle.
Please note that tourists visiting the Reed Dance festival are not allowed to take pictures during the festival. Even though we won’t be able to capture this extraordinary event on camera, it is definitely something worth coming for. And you can shoot your pictures on the safari.
- Enjoy safaris in Kruger National Park;
- Safaris with professional Guide in open game drive vehicle;
- Sit along a campfire and listen to the nightly sounds of the bush;
- Experience this Cultural Festival in The Kindom of Swaziland;
- Explore African culture;
|TRIP STARTING LOCATION||The Tour starts on August 26th in Nelspruit, in the afternoon. You will be picked up from Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport by our host.|
|RETURN LOCATION||The Tour officially ends on September 4th in Nelspruit, towards the end of the morning.|
|MODE OF TRANSPORT||You can fly from Johannesburg to Nelspruit. In Kruger, you will be going on a game drive with our professional guide in an open safari vehicle. From Nelspruit to Swaziland and back the transportation is by car, which car can either be rented at the Kruger airport or alternatively, our guide can come along with you to Swaziland. There is an option to fly back directly from Swaziland to Johannesburg.|
Estimated costs of a return plane ticket Johannesburg-Nelspruit: 180,00 euro
|WEAR||Comfortable clothing for warm weather with sturdy hiking boots.|
Make sure to bring some warm clothes along as the evenings might be chilly.
A hat or cap to protect your head from the sun.
|TERMS||Our Terms & Conditions as found here are applicable to this Tour offer.|
Price per person sharing starting from EUR 2575,-
International and local flights not included. All hotels, lodging and meals are included. Vehicle hires not included except for the open game vehicle for the Kruger safari. See ‘Mode of transport’ above for cost estimation on the plane ticket and vehicle hire.
[outofthebox dir=”/African Adventures Team Folder/ReedDance 2018 Customer Documents” mode=”files” downloadrole=”all”]
Day 1: Arrival in Nelspruit
- Starting point for this trip: Nelspruit.
- Welcome dinner and stay over at Torburnlea Luxury Bed and Breakfast.
Torburnlea Luxury Bed and Breakfast
Day 2-4: Kruger Safari
The coming days will be spent inside the park in search of spotting the Big-5.
Do not forget to bring along your camera, and if possible a pair of binoculars.
3-day safari in Kruger.
- Open game drive vehicle with a professional guide using an open game drive vehicle.
- Stay overnight in Kruger National Park.
- Sit around the campfire and listen to the nocturnal sounds.
- Get tips and tricks for wildlife photography.
Kruger safari in open game drive vehicle
Day 5: Khaya Ndlovu
- Morning Safari out of Kruger to Hoedspruit.
- Khaya Ndlovu.
Day 6: Endangered Wildlife Tour
- Guided day-tour.
- Moholoholo Animal Rehabilitation Centre.
- Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre.
- Khaya Ndlovu.
Up close and personal at Moholoholo
Day 7: Panorama Route Tour
- Guided Panorama Route day-tour.
- Blyde River Canyon, Bourke’s Luck Potholes.
- Graskop, Pilgrims Rest and Gods Window.
- Torburnlea Luxury Bed and Breakfast.
Blyde River Canyon
Day 8: Swaziland
You will have some time to enjoy some curio shopping, have lunch and then head over to the Reed Dance Ceremony. Accommodation will be at Summerfield Luxury Resort &Botanical Garden.
- Drive to Swaziland.
- Strolling past the open market stalls.
- Curio shopping at Swazi-candles – a hive of shops all under one roof.
- Try a traditional dish.
- Attend the Reed Dance Ceremony.
Reed Dance Festival.
Day 9: Cultural Village trip and Reed Dance Festival
There will be time to have lunch before you attend the final ceremony of the Reed Dance Festival.
- Visit the Cultural Village.
- Get an insight into the traditional way of Zulu life.
- Spend time capturing the Reed Dance Festival.
Reed Dance Festival.
Day 10: Return to Nelspruit
- Journey back to Nelspruit.
- Trip back home or extension of your trip.
The Cultural Village of Swaziland
Note: Not all web-browsers are supported. Use a modern browser to submit the form below. Firefox is a reported browser that is not supported at the moment. After submitting the form, you will be brought back to the Tour page. If you encounter problems, please let us know at [email protected].